Skip to main content

Vocabulary Enrichment 1

Myriad: a countless or extremely great number. “I saw a myriad of birds today.”


Innocuous: not harmful or offensive. “I found his performance innocuous.”


Feign: pretend to be affected by (a feeling, state, or injury). “I feigned a broken leg to avoid soccer practice.”


Temerity: excessive confidence or boldness; audacity. “He proposed to his beloved in a demonstration of temerity.”


Affront: an action or remark that causes outrage or offense. “This article is an affront to my dignity.”


Acquiesce: accept something reluctantly but without protest. “I acquiesce in your decision.”


Interim: the intervening time. “This new manager is only in charge in the interim.”


Trepidation: a feeling of fear or agitation about something that may happen. “I climbed the ladder in trepidation.”


Alleviate: make (suffering, deficiency, or a problem) less severe. “I took painkillers to alleviate my cramps.”


Stagnant: showing no activity; dull and sluggish. “This economy is stagnant under the new president.”


Elicit: evoke or draw out (a response, answer, or fact) from someone in reaction to one's own actions or questions. “One of my questions finally elicited a response.” 


Exacerbate: make (a problem, bad situation, or negative feeling) worse. “I thought the pills would help but they only exacerbated the pain.”


Tumultuous: making a loud, confused noise; uproarious. “The tumultuous cheering shook the stage.”


Bolster: support or strengthen; prop up. “The interview bolstered my confidence.”


Cajole: persuade (someone) to do something by sustained coaxing or flattery. “I tried to cajole him into giving me a free ticket.”


Clandestine: kept secret or done secretively, especially because illicit. “We tried to keep our club meetings clandestine.”


Ameliorate: make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better. “I tried to ameliorate the soup by adding ginger.”


Cessation: the fact or process of ending or being brought to an end. “A found the cessation of the club tragic.”


Proliferation: a large number of something. “I have a proliferation of marbles.”


Fervent: having or displaying a passionate intensity. “I punched with fervent desperation.”


Ubiquitous: present, appearing, or found everywhere. “As the wealthiest man in the city, he possessed ubiquitous influence.”


Sweltering: uncomfortably hot. “The desert was sweltering.”


Extraneous: irrelevant or unrelated to the subject being dealt with. “After three pieces of pie, any more are extraneous.”


Recalcitrant: having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority or discipline. “I found the college president recalcitrant.”


Schadenfreude: pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune. “When I saw my brother stub his toe, I felt schadenfreude.”


Malleable: easily influenced; pliable. “He talked me into the phone plan because I am too malleable.”


Augment: make (something) greater by adding to it; increase. “I augment my collection of antique vases with counterfeits.”


Debauchery: excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures. “The jocks engage in debauchery every day.”


Decadence: moral or cultural decline as characterized by excessive indulgence in pleasure or luxury. “The Roman Empire fell after its society became obsessed with decadence.”


Presumptive: of the nature of a presumption; presumed in the absence of further information. “He acted presumptive when he asked how much money I would give him.”

Comments